Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something through our website. Purchasing assets through our links won’t cost you any extra money and will help fund the hosting and development of this site.
The TopDown Engine is the most complete top down solution for Unity.
From the creator of the acclaimed Corgi Engine, it is the best top down action framework out there, whether you're new to Unity, or an experienced developer. Clean code, good practices, optimizations, its strong foundations allow for the creation of both 2D and 3D top down games. It's very fast and works on desktop, mobile, and anywhere you want. Packed with features, built with player feedback and great game feel at its core, and constantly updated, it's the best tool to create 2D or 3D top down game that actually feel good!
Complete features list - Demo - Documentation - Videos - Forum - Support
This 2D and 3D engine includes:
- A tight character controller for your player, complete with collision detection, slope handling, movement, jumps (and as many more jumps as you like), weapons (melee and projectile), combo weapons, dash, running, crawling, and more. Easy to control and tweak via the inspector to create your very own character. The game comes packed with different examples to get you started, along with a complete documentation.
- Game feel at its core : the asset comes with MoreMountains' Feedback system built-in, to add screen shakes, freeze frames, particles, chromatic aberration, and many more game feel feedbacks with a simple click.
- Packed with content, the asset is filled with demo levels, and provides you with all you need : tons of ready to use, handcrafted visual assets (and that you can actually use, not just placeholder art), 300+ optimized scripts, and tons of ready for production prefabs.
- Includes the Inventory Engine, usually sold separately but offered with the TopDown Engine. Complete inventory management solution. Create inventories, items (collectables, usable, equippable, etc), ammo, customize and extend everything!
- Advanced AI system : create complex enemy, boss, or friendly AIs behaviors by combining actions (shoot, patrol, wait, etc) and decisions (enemy in sight, time, player direction, health, damage, etc) using only the inspector, no code needed!
- A strong camera controller built on top of Unity's Cinemachine with tons of options : pixel perfect, camera shake, post effects...
- Everything you need to create your levels : moving platforms, destructible crates, keys and chest/doors, and more. Also achievements, progress management, save and load, and tons of other useful stuff!
- Multiplayer ready : the asset comes with a local multiplayer demo, with its own set of rules, camera system (split screen, group shot) and combat for you to build upon.
- Hundreds of visual assets (platforms, tiles, playable characters, levels, particle effects, animations, enemies...) ready to use in your 2D or 3D topdown game!
- Mobile controls that work everywhere - The whole codebase is heavily documented, and everything's coded to be as easy to customize as possible. Creating your own adventure game has never been this fun!
>> Check out all the other features.
If you have any question, please use the support email on this page.
Install notice : Once you've imported the package, if you get errors or feel like something isn't working like it should, please check the documentation and don't hesitate to use the support email if the problem persists.
This asset uses Unity's 2D Extras under MIT License and Unity's NavMeshComponents under MIT License; see third-party-notices.txt file in package for details